Windows + Cygwin + myNS2
This document will show you how to install myNS2 (ns-2.28 + all my modules) on Windows platform (windows 2000 or windows XP). If you follow each step in this webpage, you can successfully run all the simulation scripts provided me without installing each module. (It includes TKN 802.11e EDCF module, NOAH routing, MFlood, CSFQ, Poisson traffic, wireless random uniform and GE error model, and tcldebug.)
1. Download the cygwin.rar.
2. Decompress the cygwin.rar
1. Click the setup.exe to install cygwin.
2. Because the language of operating system is Traditional Chinese. The text of button is shown in Chinese. But you don’t need to worry about this. I think it is shown in English in your computer. Just click “Next”.
3. Then choose “Install from Local Directory”
4. Click “Next”.
(Just keep the settings as they are.)
5. Click “Next”
Click “Browse” to choose where
the software is. (Please choose “ftp%
7. Click “OK”.
8. Click “Next” and you will see the figure shown as follows. In this window, the cygwin setup program let you choose what software you want to install.
9. Click “View” first to make the word “Category “change to “Full”.
XFree86-etc, make, patch, perl,
must be chosen. For example, if I want
to install XFree-86 base (upper figure), click the “Skip” of “New” column. The
“Skip” will be changed to “
11. Click “Next”.
(Please be patient. It may take a long time to finish the installation.)
12. When setup is done, it will be shown as following figure. Click “Finish”.
13. Click “OK” to finish the cygwin setup program.
1. Click the icon on the desktop.
2. For the first time execution, it will generate some environment parameter setting files. In this example, smallko is my login name to windows system. Therefore, the cygwin will create a folder named “smallko” under home directory. (The actual path for smallko folder is: c:\cygwin\home\smallko) It should be noticed that the login name can not have any space in your name. For example, “A B” may cause errors when you install NS2.
3. Download myNS2.
4. Decompress the ns-allinone-2.28.rar.
5. Move this folder under c:\cygwin\home\smallko. (P.S. smallko is my login name)
6. Open a cygwin window
7. Change the path to ns-allinone-2.28/ns-2.28
8. Run the command “./configure; make clean; make
9. Please be patient. It will take some time to finish the compilation.
10. When it is done, it should look like as follows.
11. To make sure that you have successfully installed myNS2, you need to check whether you can find ns.exe under ns-allinone-2.28/ns-2.28
12. Copy the .bashrc to c:/cygwin/home/smallko
13. Run the example script to test whether you have setup the path or not.
14. If you see the error message like “ns command not found”, no worry about this. Sometimes even you have setup the path, but it does not work. You can copy the ns.exe (nam.exe) to the same place as the simulation script. Run the simulation with “./ns.exe” and it will be ok.
Author : Chih-Heng, Ke
Phd candidate, EE Department, NCKU, Taiwan